Step 1: Figuring out what kind of business you want to open and where.

While these decisions are ultimately up to you there are several resources within the Town of Clinton that you may want to consult.  These include the Chamber of Commerce, the Economic Development Commission and the Land Use Office.

You may be wondering why you should talk to these groups.  The Chamber of Commerce and the Economic Development Commission can help you determine if there is a need for your particular business within the town, if it is service based, or if there are other support systems or groups for you to consult.  The Land Use Office will help to determine if your business is allowed within the town and the locations where it would be allowed.

The Land Use Office Staff will help you consult Section 24 of the Clinton Zoning Regulations.  This is a table which lists what kinds of uses are permitted where and what kind of permits are required. 

Once you find out if your business is permitted in town, you need to decide where you are going to operate your business.  You have two major options: at home or at a commercial location.  

If you decide that you are going to run your business out of your home, you will need a Home Occupation Permit.

If you want to operate at a commercial locations, there are several things to consider.  if you have a location in mind, you should check to see what kind of permit you would need.  if might be a building permit, a Site Plan or a Special Exception.  if you don't have a specific location in mind, the Land Use Staff can give you the parameters to look for to require the lowest level of permits.

Application Forms

Zoning Regulations


This is a summary of the Zoning Regulations.  Do not depend on this publication as law!  Please refer to the Clinton Zoning Regulations as they may be updated and amended from Time to Time and are the official regulations.