Justices of the Peace

Justices of the Peace are endorsed by the Town Committees. For a short period, unaffiliated voters are allowed to apply to become a Justice. Justices must then come into the Town Clerk's Office to be sworn in and to prepare a signature card for filing. This card shows not only their legal signature but shows their term of office. The Town Clerk prepares a list of Justices which may be given to applicants for marriage licenses. A handbook is given to the Justice which shows what duties they may perform and also contains a few samples of marriage ceremonies. This office maintains a list of all Justices of the Peace for marriage ceremonies.