1. Aggregate square footage* of all signs on the property, in your zone:
A. B-1, B-4 and Industrial Districts: 48 square feet.
B. Village Zone, B-2, B-3 and Marine Districts: 36 square feet.
2. Signs which are painted on or attached to a building shall not exceed 10% of the area of the wall or the total square footage for your district, whichever is less.
3. Freestanding signs (These are signs that are not attached to a building or a wall, but does not include sandwich board signs.) cannot be any taller than 20’ from the natural grade (the ground). See Photo 5
4. Hanging signs (See Photo 6) can be placed within 10’ of any front property line and must also:
A. The lowest part of the sign must be at least 8’ above any pedestrian way (sidewalk).
B. Any arcade-style signs are to be oriented perpendicular to the street, attached to the bottom of an overhand roof or walkway covering or storefront and cannot exceed 4 square feet (which means you do not need a permit for this kind of sign!)
C. In the B-1, B-4 and Industrial Districts: no side of a hanging sign can exceed 8’ in length/width.
D. In the Village Zone, B-2, B-3 and Marine Districts: A hanging sign cannot exceed 18 square feet.
5. Neon and LED signs:
A. Not permitted in the Village Zone.
B. Only all to have 3 on a property.
C. Turn them off when you close!
D. They cannot be located on the outside of buildings.
E. When calculating square footage, we measure a rectangle within which all parts of the sign are located. Each sign can’t be more than 6 square feet, with the longest side of the rectangle no more than 42”. See Illustration 1
F. The 3 signs cumulatively can’t have more than 15 square feet.
6. If you are located in a Shopping Center each store is allowed:
A. A sign on the front of the building, the size not more than one square foot per each linear foot of store frontage
B. An arcade sign if there is a courtyard or covered walkway
C. A small sign (up to 4 square feet) on a main freestanding sign which is for the entire Shopping Center.
7. If you are located in a Multiple Tenancy Commercial Building or Multiple Building Complex in all Business, Marine and Industrial Zones, each tenant is allowed:
A. If there are multiple units in one structure or more than one structure on a property, then each unit gets one square foot of signage per linear foot of structural frontage.
B. One freestanding sign is allowed on the following terms:
i. No more than 20’
ii. Shall not exceed 36 square feet (not including the tenant panels)
iii. Each tenant may add 1 small sign (not to exceed 4 square feet)
iv. The total square footage cannot exceed 72 square feet.